Shazam! is a 2019 superhero film based on the DC Comics character of the same name, produced by New Line Cinema and distributed by Warner Bros. Pictures, it is the seventh installment in the DC Extended Universe (DCEU). It was directed by David F. Sandberg from a screenplay by Henry Gayden and a story by Gayden and Darren Lemke, and stars Zachary Levi, Mark Strong, Asher Angel, Jack Dylan Grazer, and Djimon Hounsou. The film follows teenager Billy Batson (Angel) as he is chosen by the ancient wizard Shazam (Hounsou) to be his new champion by saying the name “Shazam”, allowing him to transform into an adult superhero (Levi) with various superpowers. Billy and his foster brother Freddy Freeman (Grazer) must discover Billy’s new powers in order to stop the evil Dr. Thaddeus Sivana (Strong) and the Seven Deadly Sins.
Shazam – Trailer
After being abandoned at a fair, Billy constantly searches for his mother. His life, however, takes a huge turn when he inherits superpowers from a powerful wizard.
Release date: 5 April 2019
Director: David F. Sandberg
Sequel: Shazam! Fury of the Gods
Box office: 366 million USD
Music by: Benjamin Wallfisch
Distributed by: Warner Bros. Pictures
- Zachary Levi as Shazam
- Asher Angel as Billy Batson.
- David Kohlsmith as young Billy.
- Mark Strong as Dr. Thaddeus Sivana
- Ethan Pugiotto as young Thaddeus.
- Jack Dylan Grazer as Frederick “Freddy” Freeman
- Adam Brody plays the character’s adult superhero form.
- Djimon Hounsou as Shazam
- Faithe Herman/Meagan Good as Darla Dudley
- Grace Fulton/Michelle Borth as Mary Bromfield
- Ian Chen/Ross Butler as Eugene Choi
- Jovan Armand/D. J. Cotrona as Pedro Peña
- Marta Milans as Rosa Vásquez
- Cooper Andrews as Víctor Vásquez